Volunteers are at the heart of the World Pediatric Project family, directly supporting World Pediatric Project patients and their families. With many patients traveling thousands of miles from their own families, we would not be able to provide a home away from home without the generosity of volunteers. As a volunteer, you have the opportunity to work directly with the children and their guardians, providing social and practical support throughout their stay.
Ways you can help
- Welcoming families at the airport when they arrive and seeing them off when they are ready to return home
- Taking families on outings during their downtime before or after surgery
- Teaching a new skill or doing an activity at the housing facility with families
- Assisting families with surgery check-in and supporting them during their child’s surgery day
- Transporting and accompanying families to medical appointments
- Providing social and emotional support to families by visiting them or bringing a meal while they are in the hospital or at the housing facility
While these are the ways volunteers have traditionally supported patients and their families, we welcome your ideas for other ways to connect. If you are interested in Spanish-speaking volunteer opportunities, please let us know. While it is not necessary for you to speak Spanish to volunteer, some of the families who travel to the U.S. for care speak Spanish, allowing for ample opportunities for those who are interested.
At this time, volunteer opportunities are available in Richmond, VA, St. Louis, MO, and Philadelphia, PA
To find out more about opportunities in each city, please contact:
- Please complete a Volunteer Application Packet and Child Protection Policy
- Please email the completed documents to Harper Lorencki.
- Once your application has been approved, Harper will reach out to you regarding Volunteer Orientation.
- If you have any questions about volunteering in Richmond, call our office for more information (804) 282-8830.
St. Louis, MO
- Please complete a Volunteer Application Packet
- Please e-mail the completed packet to Senior Program Director Kate Corbett.
- Once your application has been approved, Kate will reach out to you regarding Volunteer Orientation.
- If you have any questions about volunteering in St. Louis, call our office for more information (314) 317-8809.